Privatized in 2003, SOMACA (Société Marocaine de Constructions Automobiles) has been 100% owned by Renault since March 2019. The Casablanca plant builds Groupe Renault vehicles. It currently produces the Logan, Sandero Sandero Stepway models from Dacia.
- FOUNDED IN: 1959
- LEGAL FORM AND CAPITAL OWNERSHIP: Limited company owned 99% by Groupe Renault (91% by Renault sas ; 8% by Renault Maroc), 1% by private shareholders.
- ACTIVITY: Bodywork-assembly
- WORKFORCE: 1,502 at December 31, 2018
- PRODUCTION LINES: 1 line
- MODELS BUILT: Logan 2, Sandero 2
- AREA: 31 ha, o/w 9 ha of covered buildings
- CERTIFICATIONS: EAQF "A"
- ADDRESS: SOMACA, km 12, Autoroute de Rabat Ain Sebaa, Casablanca, BP 2628, Morocco
- TELEPHONE: + 212 22 75 48 48
- Logan 2: 29 689 units
- Sandero 2: 53 745 units
- 1959: creation of the Casablanca plant.
- 1966: signing of an agreement with the Moroccan State for the assembly of Renault vehicles by SOMACA.
- 1996: signing of the ‘Economical LCV’ agreement with the Moroccan State and manufacturing of the Express model begins.
- 1999: manufacturing of Kangoo begins.
- 2001: ISO 9002 certification awarded.
- 2003: signing of an agreement with the Moroccan State for the acquisition by Renault of 38 % of the SOMACA’s share capital (26 % in September 2003 and 12% at the end of October 2005).
- 2004: signing of the ‘Renault Kangoo Economical Car’ agreement with the Moroccan government.
- 2005: Renault acquired the 20% share in SOMACA held by Fiat and the 12% share in SOMACA held by the Moroccan State.
- 2006: Renault acquired 14% of the capital of SOMACA, held by private shareholders. Launch of Logan 1.5 dCi.
- 2007: Logan exported to plants in France and Spain – Plant receives ISO 14001 certification.
- 2009: launch of production of Sandero.
- 2011: 50th Anniversary Celebration.
- 2013: SOMACA starts producing new Sandero and new Logan.
- 2016: celebration 500,000th Renault vehicle / Signature of the new collective agreement.
- 2017: inauguration of the wastewater treatment plant.
- 2018: production capacity increasing project annoucement.
- 2019: Renault acquires the remaining 20% held by PSA in March 2019.