The powertrain plant of Cormecanica in Los Andes, located at the foot of the Andes Mountain Range in Chile, produces gearboxes mainly for countries in the Americas region (Brazil, Argentina and Colombia). In 2019, it celebrated its 50th anniversary with the production of 6 million gearboxes.
- FOUNDED IN:1969
- LEGAL FORM AND CAPITAL OWNERSHIP: Limited company owned by Renault SAS (99,9%) and Renault Industrial and Commercial (0,1%)
- ACTIVITY: Powertrains
- WORKFORCE: 427 employees at December 31, 2018
- AREA: 9 ha o/w 1.1 ha of covered buildings
- CERTIFICATIONS: ISO 14001, ISO 9001 and SMR label
- ADDRESS: Cormecanica Plant, Rue San Rafael n° 1769, Casilla Correo: 11-A, 2100837 Los Andes, Chile
- TELEPHONE: + 56 34 2 499111
- Gearboxes: JHQ, JRQ, SG1
- Gearboxes: 322 147 units
- 1968: creation of Industria Automotriz Renault Chile, a Renault subsidiary. Assembly of the Renault 4L model at the Arica plant.
- 1969: creation of the Cormecanica plant in Los Andes.
- 1971: activities transferred from Arica to Los Andes plant, which assembles first the Renault 4L model and then the Renault 12 model.
- 1979: manufacturing of the Renault 18 model by Automotores Franco Chilena begins.
- 1980: the Cormecanica plant becomes a Renault operation.
- 1991: local vehicle production discontinued.
- 2004: start of operations of the “Importer countries” division in Chile.
- 2008: beginning of machining of JH gearbox housing in Cormecanica.
- 2010: production of JH3 gearbox for Fluence and JB3 for Symbol in Argentina.
- 2012: the Groupe Renault's 50 millionth J gearbox is manufactured in Cormecanica.
- 2016: 5 millions gearboxes manufactured. Production of first gearbox SG1.
- 2019: 6 millions gearboxes manufactured ; 50th aniversary of the plant.