Fonderie de Bretagne, a subsidiary of Groupe Renault, is a major player in South Brittany’s economy. Established there since 1965, FDB produces rough-cast and machined parts for the automotive industry: safety components and engine and gearbox parts.
- FOUNDED IN: 1965
- LEGAL FORM AND CAPITAL OWNERSHIP: "S.N.C." (general partnership) with capital of 2 962 000 €
- ACTIVITY: Production of foundry parts, raw and machined, in Spheroidal Graphite cast iron.
- WORKFORCE: 418 employees at 31th of December 2018
- PRODUCTION LINES: 2 molding lines, 1 machining workshop
- AREA: 42 250 m2 covered, on a ground of 27 ha
- CERTIFICATIONS: ISO 9001 – TS 16949 - ISO 14001
- ADDRESS: Fonderie de Bretagne Z.I de Kerpont – Rue Daniel Trudaine – 56850 Caudan – FRANCE
- TELEPHONE: + 33 2 97 87 47 47
- Engine parts: manifolds and exhaust bends
- Transmission parts: differential housings
- Chassis parts (safety parts): suspension arms and rocket carriers
- Cast iron: 18 600 tonnes
- 1965: the foundation stone of the plant was laid by French Prime Minister Georges Pompidou.
- 1966: thee first casting line started work on 1 July. Eventually, a total of four casting lines would come into operation, supplied by 11 electric fusion kilns.
- 1972: first modernisation operation, with the replacement of one of the first four casting lines.
- 1979: start of two new casting lines (exhaust manifolds).
- 1996: six Comau machine-tooling centres brought into operation (machine tools for machining mechanical parts).
- 1999: the foundry was attached to the Teksid (Fiat)group.
- 2000: the machine-tooling building was extended and 11 Heller centres were installed (turning-milling).
- 2009: la Fonderie de Bretagne becomes a 100% subsidiary of Groupe Renault again.
- 2011: Groupe Renault announced a plan to modernise the foundry, including installation of a new casting line.
- 2012: start-up of production of fifth-generation K9K engines.
- 2014: start-up of production of kingpins for Trafic, Twingo and Smart.
- 2015: arrival of a new automated finishing stand.
- 2016: startup of the new Künkel-Wagner casting line for stub axle carriers, suspension arms, units and new parts, including crankshafts for the H4 engine.
- 2017: launch of the pre-machining project with the implanation of 4 towers (assignment of 4 housings references).
- 2018: startup of a new pre-machining line for differential units.